Department Of Commerce
The Department of Commerce, is one of the oldest and largest departments in the country, has been serving for the last 78 years. Commerce Department was started at Nizam College in the year 1940. Since then, B.Com Degree course has been offered in the department. In the year 1970, M.Com with costing and Taxation specialization, was introduced at Nizam College, upgrading Commerce Department into a Post Graduate Department.
In the year 1995, B.Com Vocational course in Foreign Trade Practices &Procedures was offered with the intake of 30 students. B.Com e-Commerce was started in the year 1999-2000.
In the year 1995-96, the department has been upgraded, as a faculty of commerce and Head of Department is also the Chairman, Board of Studies. In the year 2000-01, as per the approval of UGC, M.Com course was offered with the change in specialization as International Business”. At the Post-graduate level, this is the only college in Andhra Pradesh, which offers International Business as specialization in the third and fourth semesters. In September 2006 a Certificate course on e- Commerce and Web Developer was started. In the academic year 2016-17 the Certificate course on e- Commerce and Web Developer was revised and Diploma in e-commerce and Web Designing was launched.
Provision of Internet facilities through WiFi round the clock, use of Audio-visual aids in the class rooms, conduct of Group discussions, Case studies, Role-plays, Mock-interviews etc., Interaction of Student counsellors with students for frequent sharing of views and problems and guiding them throughout their course period are some of the student development activities of the Department.
Project Report preparation by studying a researchable topic in a firm or taking up a burning issue related to Finance / Marketing or Human Resource Management and analysing it by survey method, by using appropriate statistical tools, whereby offering useful suggestions to the industry world, is a challenging task carried out with success by the senior students, which is applauded by the Industry experts who evaluate them. This exercise is at times providing corporates with an opportunity to spot the merit and absorb them in their own firms.
- The Department of Commerce was established in the year 1940, with a vision of providing excellence in the fields of Commerce by imparting value based education, training and research. The Department has the pride of being one of the best departments in our college for course curriculum development, teaching and research in Commerce discipline.
- The Department is offering both undergraduate and post graduate courses. The Department well recognized the need for Computer education and introduced B.Com (e-Commerce) course in the year 1999 itself.
- It is also offering a one year Diploma Course in e-Commerce and Web Designing. The Department has been in the forefront in responding to the industry needs by swiftly devising new courses or revising the syllabi of existing courses so as to make students industry-ready.
- It has the credit of offering a perfect blend of Information Technology with Commerce core subjects in such an inseparable fashion that use of computers by faculty and students is made indispensable while learning commerce subjects.
- Further, the Department introduced computer and commerce lab as a part of the curriculum and assessment to expose the commerce students to the practical knowledge and environment.
- At present, the Department has 14 faculty members comprising of 1 professor, 3 Assistant professors, 3 Assistant professors (C) and 07 part-time lecturers.
- The students profile reflects immense diversity with students from ruralTelangana, local students and foreign students from various countries like - Ethiopia, Somalia, Iran, Jordan, Yemen, Oman, Kenya, Tanzania, Saudi Arabia, Maldives etc.The department has introduced CBCS pattern for both UG and PG courses. Project work and seminar presentation is compulsory for both UG and PG students.The department also offers a Multi-disciplinary paper on e-banking to all the UG students of all the streams.Department of commerce gives great importance to our student’s overall personality development, particularly in developing student’s communication skills, problem solving capacities and appreciation for teamwork.
- The department has a student’s club – NEEM (NIZAM EMBRYONIC EXECUTIVE MÉLANGE),whichprovides a platform for students to develop their overall personality and improve their marketability. JAM sessions, debate, Business quiz, dumb charades, elocution, group discussions, mock interviews, power point presentations etc. are part of the NEEM club activities.
Vision of the department
Envisions providing excellence in the field of Commerce by imparting value based education, training and research.
Finance, Marketing, Retailing, Digital Marketing, Human Resource Management, Economics, International Business
Objectives of the Department
- To provide holistic and value based education for overall personality development of the student.
- To prepare students for higher education and train them with required skills for employment/ self-employment
- Provide a nurturing and encouraging environment to exploit the full potential of the students
- Offering a perfect blend of Information Technology with Commerce core subjects in such an inseparable fashion that use of computers by faculty and students is made indispensable while learning commerce subjects.
Infrastructure of the department
- The Department has developed an air-conditioned. Commerce Computer Lab for all the students of B.Com and M.Com.
- This lab comprises of 40 systems, 02 Printer and software required to meet the requirements of B.Com- E-Commerce and all other Commerce courses.
- Audio-Visual equipment has been purchased and regularly used for effective teaching purpose. LCD Projector, Lap Top, OHP, TV, Scanner have been purchased for the department.