DEPARTMENT OF GENETICS, NIZAM COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), OSMANIA UNIVERSITY
- The Department offers Genetics as an optional for B.Sc. Degree course.
- The course started in 1979 with an intake of 30 students and the combinations were Genetics, Botany, Chemistry& Genetics, Zoology and Chemistry.
- Subsequently the course was offered along with Biophysics and chemistry besides the above combination.
- Presently the combination offered is Microbiology, Genetics & Chemistry.
- The department was itself first of its kind in Andhra Pradesh/Nationally along with that in one of the sister colleges.
- Right from the inception it is cream of the +2 level candidates who are selected. It paves the way for vertical movement for candidates to study M.Sc. (Genetics) offered in the country besides Osmania University which started in 1968.
- In addition to the above mention under graduate course the department has offered course in genetics to students of B.Sc (Biophysics) & B.Sc. (Seed Technology), Genetics & Biostatistics to B.Sc (Biotechnology).
- The department has offered courses in Cell & Molecular Biology to M.Sc. (Biological sciences), Genetics to M.Sc. (Zoology) and the staffs has offered courses in Cell Biology to M.Sc. (Biotechnology) at Osmania University. The staff has been a resource person to several other institutions.
- The undergraduate syllabus in Genetics is designed to offer classical, basic and advanced information in the field of genetics without undue importance to any specific branch.
- While framing the curriculum, a vertical movement in the field is kept in mind so that they can take up post graduate or integrated doctoral programme.
- The subject being one of the most debated, with advancement of knowledge rapidly progressing, due changes are periodically incorporated by revising the syllabus.
- Problem oriented teaching is stressed as it would be more interesting and gives an opportunity for analytical thinking for young minds.
- The syllabus is designed keeping in view the common core syllabus.
- The course offered is in the CBCS pattern where 80% is the common core syllabus and 20%is the updated under the autonomy.
- The programme also provides employability in large number firms related to research and development in the field of applied biological science.
|Dr. Sandya Jagapath,M.Sc ,Ph.D|
Assistant Professor(Contract) & HOD
Passionate, Enthusiastic, inspiring, and dedicated lecturer with twenty-two years teaching experience at UG level, possessing a strong passion for teaching. Motivate and inspire students, while creating a learner-centered and challenging learning environment.
|Mr. B. Radha Krishna Murthy,M.Sc,M Tech|
Passionate, Enthusiastic, inspiring, and dedicated lecturer with nine years teaching experience at UG level, possessing a strong passion for teaching. Motivate and inspire students, while creating a learner-centered and challenging learning environment.